Thursday, July 10, 2008

Rain


I live in the desert. As you probably know, deserts are hot and dry, except when they are cold and dry, in the "winter." But we don't really get winter here.

But tonight, the wind started to blow, and raindrops started coming down...big raindrops. That was an hour ago, and it is still raining. Blowing and raining. Blowing rain down our air conditioning tubes, and through the return into our hallway, and down the pipe for our water heater (a gas one). But it doesn't matter. Because it's raining in the desert!

Rain so hard that it's difficult to see the houses across the alley. Rain that turns our roof into the home of a bunch of waterfalls, waterfalls that, if found in the mountains on a hike would be considered fairly sizeable.

Rain, washing the pollution out of the air (for a minute). Rain, pounding on our roof with its soothing rhythm, luring me to sleep even as I type. It's washing our yard, our cars, our driveway. I love water. I was raised in Michigan, so am used to water in all its forms; ice, snow, rain, lakes, humidity. This kind of weather takes me home for a little bit, to when I was a kid and we'd stand under the eaves of our house, when it rained in the summer, laughing, twirling, splashing. I haven't seen rain like this here in probably 20 years!

What a beautiful night!

3 comments:

Nancy Face said...

Yes, it was beautiful, and I loved it so much! :)

I thought it was funny/ironic that Ted was here for his job interview during that huge rainstorm...and he left very mild weather behind him in SEATTLE! :D

Chell said...

Such a lovely post :) I love listening to the rain, but dont handle thunder and lightening very well, so as long as its just rain, then Im loving it :)

Help I need a user name! said...

test/e-mail