Thursday, May 18, 2006

Communicate, dammit! We're married!

I don't even know what to call this post. It's been such a shitty day. I'm so freaking out right now that I can't even think straight. First, my co-worker hands me a couple of her projects yesterday so I can help her. Then, because she's so bogged down, she feels like she can't get anything done and avoids all of it (by her own admission). I'm WAY behind on my stuff, but I'm trying to be helpful. It's a new position and I don't want to blow it. Then, I have to teach 4 classes of students who would rather be on summer vacation, while I'm so backed up at work that it's not even funny. I called my husband on the way to teach and on the way back to the office to see if he could pick up the kids, but I couldn't get hold of him. I went back to work after this, only to find that my co-worker could tell I was stressed out, so she gave the mail to someone else to do; someone who loves doing it. Rather than the gratitude I should feel, I feel incredibly guilty and am worried about my position. But the day ends. Of course it ends late, and I'm all set to be late picking up the kids at daycare. I call my husband, whom I haven't been able to reach all day, but again, his phone goes right to voicemail. I'm beyond pissed at this point. I rush to daycare and get there 15 minutes late. The kids have "Movie Night" tonight, so it's over-processed McDonald's again (for at least the 2nd time this week) for dinner, since by now we have 15 minutes to get back to the school and they need dinner. Then I finally make it home for an hour or two of peace. My husband's car is here...cool! Time together! I thought he was working. But I get into the house and he's not here. At this point because I haven't been able to reach him all day, I have no idea what's going on. If he were at work, he'd have his car. But here it is. I call his mom, she hasn't heard from him. I call my mom, same thing. I call a few friends, no luck. I call his office emergency phone since it's after hours. They say that a truck he was supposed to deliver this morning didn't make it to where it needed to be. They'll check to see if anyone knows where he is, and call me back. By now, I've checked every room in the house, the front yard, the back yard, and the trunk of his car (okay, maybe I'm a little irrational by this point), and I'm about a minute from calling the police. I'm on the phone with his mother who agrees it's about time to call the police, when his work calls back. He's fine. He's with a co-worker, who drove him to their gig today because she got a new car. I burst into tears at the poor woman on the phone, who is very gracious, and then call and blubber to his mom and my mom.

I am truly glad he's okay, but I'm very angry now. I'm trying to decide whether or not to just leave the house for the night and go to a motel. I'm shaking, I want to vomit, and I can't believe this day. I need ice cream! Of course he is happily watching the Suns game, oblivious to my anger.

No comments: