Monday, April 16, 2007

It's Monday!

I was looking for something for my boss today, a picture of a sniffling child (he’s a doctor) and came across something really disturbing on the internet (I know…what a shock…something disturbing on the internet. Who’d have thought?). It was a story of how this person, when he/she was a child (I don’t know which, didn’t read enough) had a father who burned all of his/her toys because he was angry. I am still really upset. I feel so badly for this kid, who by now has grown up enough to blog about it. It makes me want to cry.

This is yet another unwelcome aspect of depression…I seem to feel others' pain so very, VERY deeply. I mean, I understand this had nothing to do with me at all; I don’t even know who it was directed at. I don’t know if the father bought more toys, or felt bad, or anything. I just know I want to cry, and if I give in to this feeling and let it fester, I will begin thinking that I can’t possibly live on the Earth any more, because it’s too horrible here. So of course, I’m praying and listening to happy music and blogging here at work, which is frowned upon, in order to stay sane. We live in a crazy world, where horrible things happen.

Now, this all happened before I heard about yet another person with easy access to a gun went ballistic on a campus and killed 30-some people today. Which didn’t affect me nearly as much as the burned toys story. What in the world is up with that? But more importantly, why can people so easily acquire guns? Seriously. How is it necessary for everyone to have access to a firearm?

1 comment:

ioio said...

i feel quite similarly as you do. i feel others pain.

today--after reading everybody's posts and comments--i can't get over all of this pain we are all experiencing. personal, famililal, community-wide and world-wide.

the universe clearly needs to take a deep breath today and relax itself. to gain strength to carry on.