Monday, April 10, 2006

...And so It Begins

Hello. Welcome, whatever it is that's brought you here. I've started a blog because I saw a neat one I really liked and it inspired me. Also, I have some very interesting things happening just now; I've just (today) started a new job and I report back to school (University of Phoenix) on April 24 to finish my elementary education degree.

I found the blog I mentioned earlier in quite a roundabout way. One night I was fed up with the world and life, particularly my life, so I typed into Google, "Help me I'm going to kill myself." It was a bad day. But I was brought to this wonderful pink-and-rose blog called "My Salome Nature." It's about a mom and a baby and is quite uplifting, actually. So I didn't kill myself that night. Or any other night, at least until the present. So far, so good!

Which brings me to now. Until today I worked for a well-known charity. Surprisingly, it was unpleasant. Even more surprisingly, I stayed there a year and a half. I worked part-time for an organization in which most everyone I dealt with was severely negative, all the while talking about how the company worked to bring positive change to the world. Eventually I got tired of nearly losing electric service, water and phone because my bills were always so late, so I jumped at this opportunity which basically fell into my lap. Today was day #1.

It was typical first-day, but I wasn't confused and lost like I sometimes am on the first day of a new job. It looks kind of easy so far--I hesitate to say that, but I'm not complaining...I've been running like a chicken without a head for 18 months now and some calm, repetitive tasks will be welcome. I think it will work out. I hope it gets less boring. I'm truly grateful and don't mean to complain at all. Like I said, it's just first-day stuff.

As for the rest of my life, that which is not work, I'm married and have 2 children. A son, who is in 3rd grade this year and a daughter who is in 1st grade. They're wonderful, but of course all parents say their children are wonderful. I'll tell you, though, I'm not sure how they got to be so pleasant and smart. Most days I feel like I'm barely hanging on and yet it seems to be working out. God has a big hand in that, I'm sure.

School is still a mystery as I don't start until 4/24. I'm excited...a room full of adults, talking about the field that's dearest to my heart. I'm scared...what if, in the 20 years since my bright and shining one single year at Graceland College (now University), I'm not smart enough. But I think I am. I think I can do this. I want to do this.

And that is my first blog post. If you've made it this far, thank you! I'm going to see if I can put some color into this and see what else I can do to make it "mine," and then I must sleep, for work starts early! G'night, all!

2 comments:

Give Your Head A Shake said...

I'm sorry I didn't see this the first time I visited. I had no idea you felt inspired by my silly blog blah blah blah, but I'm really glad that you're writing your own now. Please keep doing it. It IS inspiring for others to know how you're coping, what you're doing to keep your balance, how God is holding things together for you, what you do with your family/work/school... I'm hooked and I can't wait to learn more about you. Thanks to the internet for friends around the world, eh?

ioio said...

Fantastic first post! Very very inspiring...