Thursday, March 22, 2007

Walking with Jesus

Yes, I know. This used to be "The Start of Something Big." Well, I changed it. For one thing, it 's not the start anymore. I'm a year into my degree program already. I've made a bunch of progress. For another, I've felt that I need to rename this and take my focus in a different direction. As well as academics, I'm learning a whole lot about my walk with Jesus, as well. I wanted a place to share that. So, for my one-and-a-half readers, I hope you won't be too confused. I think you'll find it intereesting.

My Salome Nature, if you're out there, I hope you're doing well. I haven't heard from you in awhile. Toofakind414, I know you're still out there. Maybe you'll drop by here once in awhile.

Anyway, on to the new topic. Walking with Jesus. It's what I choose to do, and it's been the best thing I've done in my life. What does it mean, you ask? Well, I don't have to drink any Kool-Aid or eat "enhanced" pudding and wait for the spaceship to come. It's a personal choice I've made to accept what God has provided for me-salvation through His son Jesus Christ.

Some wonderful friends prayed for me for six years before I realized that my view of what God wanted from me was incorrect. The hard thing to accept about Christianity is that God loves us-just as we are, this minute. He loves us when we follow Him and when we don't. Much like a parent loves his or her children even after they color on the wall with markers, He loves us no matter what we do, whether or not we deserve it. In fact, we DON'T deserve it. We simply CANNOT deserve it-nothing we humans can do can measure up to God's standards-BUT THAT'S OKAY!! Do you know why it's okay? It's because Jesus came to earth in order to die for the sins of all mankind. He didn't have to, but He did, because He loves us.

There's a lot more I could write about this, and I will another time. I'm happy to have gotten this far on the subject tonight. On another subject, school is going well. I'm done with college algebra, and I know that God got me through it. I had a good teacher and a great team. I was blessed. I'm in Humanities class now, and I went into it kicking and screaming. See, I've taken an art class before (which is basically what this is). I took said class in 1986 at Graceland College in Iowa, and my professor was Lester Wight. I've remembered this because his name is kind of cool-he went by Les Wight, which of course sounds like Less White. Good name for an art teacher, eh? But, to return to the subject; I'm paying ridiculous money to complete my degree at University of Phoenix, because with the kids and the husband and the job and breathing and sleeping and such, I thought it wise to get done fast. I did not want to spend ridiculous money on art class. No offense to artists, I was just hoping for, you know, a necessary class. Which technically this is; I needed another humanities credit, but still...art? (And, by the way, people who are 39 years old do NOT, in my humble opinion, need humanities credits. If you're that sheltered by that time, something is seriously wrong). But I digress. I'm in the class. And you know what? It's COOL! I'm seeing beautiful art and learning about it. After algebra, which caused me to pull out more hair than I'm comfortable discussing here, it's actually kind of nice to be in a 100-level class again...I can do this! I can write! I can look at pictures and sound reasonably intelligent! It's not a bad gig, as it turns out.

As for walking with Jesus, it's been a good walk lately.

No comments: