Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Math

I had class tonight. I take one class that lasts five weeks, and then start another class. This one is Math for Elementary Educators. I know I've discussed before my comfort level with and skills in math. It's not my favorite subject.

But as I'm going through this class, things seem different about math. I try to figure out much more than I would have dared before taking algebra. I trust myself a little more, and don't whine as much.

The teacher seems to be confused a lot of the time. He doesn't seem to (though he might) know what a lot of the answers are. And in seeing this every week, I've come to the realization that being "good" at math doesn't mean that one knows the answers to all the questions. It means that a person is willing to look for the answers.

All my life, until recently, I assumed I wasn't good at math. And I can do a lot of it, surprisingly. And I hear people all around me every day say that they aren't good at math. What they mean is (and what I meant was) that the answers don't just come naturally to them, and they do to some people. But really, that has no bearing on whether or not a person is good at math. Just being interested enough and committed enough to try and solve the problem makes one good at math.

1 comment:

ioio said...

Couldn't agree more with you on the math motivation/self-confidence factor.

Math really is a skill that you need to play Little Engine That Could...

I find that bad math teachers make bad math students--most especially when math doesn't come second nature. Good for you! Way to go. The attitude change will perhaps turn you into a math genius! Then I can turn to you with my math woes.