Tuesday, May 29, 2007

What's New

Hello, there, and thanks for stopping by! I haven't written in awhile (again). I must get better. But, on to what's new...

My son successfully finished the school year and (I think, though I still don't have a report card) he passed 4th grade. What a year!

My daughter also did very well. She cried the entire night of the last day of school because her beloved teacher for 2nd grade, Ms. Richter, is leaving to move back to Iowa. She is a fantastic teacher and taught both of my kids. We will miss her dearly.

My husband has taken a week off and is hiking Pariah Canyon in Utah. He's probably actually sleeping as I type, but during the day he and two of his lifelong friends are hiking.

I got an A in Math 213, Math for Elementary Educators. I'm a happy camper. Now there's one week down, four to go in Math 214, Math for Elementary Educators and I'm done with math!! Woo-hoo!

I'm shamelessly stealing from Tori and making this day Time Travel Tuesday...Tori blogged about her first date with her husband; I'll post about my first actual date to "mix it up."

Let's travel back to October, 1982. I'm a sophomore in high school and only 15 instead of the 16 years old my dad would have preferred for my first car date...especially with an older guy. But, older guy's dad and my dad worked together, so he relented.

It was (I believe) a homecoming dance. My date's name was Jim. I was kind of freaked, yet excited, because here was a guy 2 years older than me asking me out (okay, I know...no big deal now, but in high school it is a big deal. At least in my world). I was on the phone with his sister Jackie, who was a good friend of mine, and he started teasing me through her, as big brothers are wont to do. He accused me of chasing David, a guy I'd hung around with a lot (though not dated...egad! My father would have a fit!!) in 8th grade. I said, through the ever patient and kind Jackie, that I had not chased David, rather David had chased me. Then Jim got on the phone, and said something about why didn't I chase him, and would I like to go to the homecoming dance with him.

I can't remember how I got permission to go, but I did. Then I got lectured non-stop from that day until the dance about proper date behavior. The guy must come to the door; I was not allowed to go out with some jerk who honked his horn in the driveway and expected me to show up. I must be home on time, and he should walk me to the door...etc, etc. Yes, dad. Geeeeeeeesh!

The day of the dance I was babysitting, and I remember being worried that the people I was working for wouldn't be home in time...but they were. I went home and got ready. I wore a
mid-calf length denim skirt and a long-sleeved baby blue cowl neck (the really droopy version of the turtleneck where only the neck part droops; there is still ample coverage because the shirt itself [not the neck] doesn't droop).

Our class had recently gotten the class rings we ordered, and I remember loving the fact that my ring (with a fake-esque sapphire stone) coordinated with my outfit. Jim came to pick me up and we were both nervous the whole ride to the school, which was 12 miles away. At least I was nervous. He said, "don't you hate first dates? It's so hard to know what to talk about." This, at least I hope, loosened me up a little bit. He may not have been nervous at all, come to think about it. He may have just wanted me to feel at ease.

I don't remember much about the dance except for the fact that he held my hand while we were taking breaks from dancing. His class ring (also with a fake-esque sapphire stone, by the way) started cutting into my finger, and I asked him if he'd move it to his other hand. He did. I guess we danced, but I don't remember much about it.

This I remember, because it was so goofy and funny. After the dance, he took me to the local pizza place (it was a small town and had only one pizza place). We laughed and talked and had a good time. Eventually there were only two pieces of pizza left, and he asked if I wanted another one. I said maybe a small one. He took one and left one for me. But the pizza was on one of those metal stands in the middle of the table, and I really couldn't see "my" slice very well. I picked it up, and it had to be at least 1/3 of the pizza! I was embarrassed for a second, but then he laughed at me and I started laughing. It was funny. I didn't finish it.

He drove me home, and I thanked him for the evening and reached for the door handle. He called my name, and when I turned to look at him, he kissed me. It was a soft, nice, but not too fast kiss. Then, he walked me to the door, and said he'd had a very good time. He gave me a peck-type kiss at the door. Then he went home.

We ended up "going together," if anyone reading this remembers that term. He wrote me sweet notes which I saved for years but have now lost, he bought me a beautiful opal ring that I still have, and bought me a beautiful heart-shaped box of candy for Valentines day with a nice card. I kept his notes in the candy box, and am really still a little bummed that I lost them. He eventually wanted me to sleep with him but I wouldn't, and near the end of the school year, which was his senior year, he broke up with me. The next morning at 6:30 I was outside feeding and watering the dogs (we were early risers, having to catch the bus to school by 7:15) when my mom said the phone was for me. He said he'd been an idiot, he loved me, and wanted to get back together. We did, but in time he still wanted to sleep with me and I still wouldn't, and the school year was almost over, so we broke up for good.

Of course, I ended up with the man of my dreams, to whom I've been married for 18 years. He's way cool. I'll tell you more about our first date another day, because I must, after all, get my beauty sleep!

2 comments:

ioio said...

Great news for the whole family!

This date story was amazing. You remembered so many details. It was like I was watching a movie.

More. More! MORE!

Tori :) said...

Great story! And good for your for sticking to your morals!