Monday, September 01, 2008

And Finally...

My sister is a fabulous shopper. I don't mean that she spends hours and hours and too much money because she loves to shop; I mean that she has seven kids and a mother-in-law living with her and her husband, and she manages to have plenty of food in the house, and plenty of gifts for everyone for birthdays and Christmases. This is because she is a fabulous, or smart, shopper. At the place where I took the picture of the hearse in the last post, for instance, we bought fudge.

Now, Mackinac Island is well-known for its fudge. When people go there, they generally buy fudge. It's what you do. My sister, however, found the ONE and ONLY fudge shop on all of Mackinac Island that had a sale on. Yes, campers...we got our fudge for 15% off. I never had any idea there was a less expensive place to buy fudge on the island. Heidi found it, though.

After we bought ridiculous, copious amounts of fudge, our carriage tour took us to Arch Rock, one of the niftiest landmarks I've ever seen. One can stand at the observation platform, look through the hole that Arch Rock creates, and see the beautiful lake.





While standing at Arch Rock, I noticed the storm below. It was huge. It never did affect us, but I thought it was a cool picture. The Straits of Mackinac is famous for its storms in the winter, and a lot of ships have sunk in these very waters.




We enjoyed the rest of the day walking around and looking at all the historical places, and of course shopping (because my awesome sister found a discount souvenir shop--hey, how else are you going to buy souvenirs for seven kids, a husband and mother-in-law?)


We drove back to Heidi's friends' house that night, and back to her house the following day, which was Thursday. On Friday, we went to a zoo and to Bronner's CHRISTmas Wonderland. I am always happy at this place...how could I not be? Here are Ben and Julie outside the store...




And the Silent Night Chapel. I know it's weird, but I loved how the picture of the sign came out, so I had to use it. This is a replica of a chapel in Germany, built with permission of the original chapel by Wally Bronner, the late owner of Bronner's. He went home to heaven in July of this year.




...and Finally, here is Heidi (and Ed and Krystal and Eddie and Caitlin and Jason and Megan and Noah)'s house. This is our last day there, when Heidi and I were both crying because we had to go home. :(




I have to say that I've been ridiculously sad since I've been home. My husband and I have decided to move back to Michigan, in fact. I know it's not right, but I so miss Michigan. It is my home. I was made to be there. I have even heard God tell me it is right for us to be there. If and when we go, it will be when God says that it is right. It's pitiful how much I cry these days, and how much I want to be back there, setting up our life. I feel like I've been wondering what to do with my life for 20 years, and now I know, but I can't go yet.

But hey, I didn't mean this post to get all morose. We had a great trip. We had a lot of fun. I'm truly grateful for it. And I'm grateful for my husband, who puts up with my weepiness and still manages to love me anyway.

Thanks, honey, for the great trip, and for loving me. :)

4 comments:

Randi said...

It sounds like you had a great time.
I know what you mean about being made to live somewhere. I just feel different when I'm in Colorado. I know I'm home.

Nancy Face said...

FUDGE...oh, my! :D

Arch Rock is beautiful! So is the lake.

I love that Bronner's places Christ at the center of everything! :)

I'm sorry you've been crying. I hope the sadness will lift from your heart. (((HUGS!)))

Chell said...

You guys had the most amazing holiday! Yay for all the specials and for finding discounted fudge!! :)

Busy Bee Lauren said...

I want discounted fudge!!! What a fun trip!