Monday, September 01, 2008

The Story that Wouldn't Die

When we left our crusading vacationers last, they were enjoying a day in the author's hometown, Alden, Michigan.

After we reached Alden, we did some things that would probably bore most readers, so I skipped telling you about things like buying an ice cream cone at Higgins' Store, where I worked all through high school dipping ice cream, and oddly, never once whining that I couldn't scoop Superman ice cream because it was "too frozen." Sadly, the cutesy chick behind the counter didn't have the same resolve. We also went to the cemetery to visit old (REALLY old) relatives, and to visit the new high school. We spent the night with friends of my sister, in order to be able to go to Mackinac Island without driving four hours each way the day we were at the island.

The next morning, we set out for Mackinac Island. My nephew, seated next to me in the front seat of the van, took this picture as we approached Mackinac Bridge.






And this picture...


Once on the ferry boat required to access the island, I took this picture of the bridge...



...and once on the island, we took a carriage tour! I figure I can use this picture to introduce a new element to my blog...the occasional Horses' @$$ Award! Much like Tori's Tad Awards.




No cars are allowed on Mackinac Island (except they now have a couple of fire trucks and an ambulance-type vehicle, I believe), and so when someone dies, this is the hearse. I don't know why I wanted a picture of a hearse, except this one was cool.


2 comments:

Nancy Face said...

I've dreamed of going to Mackinac Island ever since I first saw "Somewhere in Time"! I am so happy for you! :)

The hearse is very cool. I bet people are just dying to take a ride in it.

Busy Bee Lauren said...

I want to go to Mackinac Island so bad!