Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Back to School

Well, the kids go back to school tomorrow. Did I get the whole house organized over the summer? No. It's just like it was on the last day of last school year. Did we take a genuine family vacation? Not really; we did do some camping. Did I save up our $1000 emergency fund as I had planned? Nope. $150.00. Woo-friggin'-hoo. After a day of near-constant interruption and being flung into volcanoes I have no idea how to solve, I left work 1/2 hour late to pick up the kids from grandma's house. Luckily, it's grandma's house. No big. But I had stressed all the way there, 40 minutes to cover six miles because of traffic. I seriously hate this city. Very much.

Then we went to Wal-Mart to get some fruit cups for the kids' school lunches, and some ink cartridges for my printer. I also found "The Dark Crystal," the Jim Henson movie from the 80's that they had seen part of, but not all of, and ice cream to bribe them to let me finish my paper for school. $70 later, we went to check out and waited in line. Several lines, actually. Only a very few "regular" registers were open; most of the open ones were those irritating self-check lanes. They never seem to work for me, and I always end up with a "helper" coming over to fix their dumb computer. We crept along like everyone else, and twenty minutes later we finally left the store. The schedule for the night was hopelessly behind at this point, and we drove through McDonald's for dinner. I just now got the kids to bed; it's 9:49 p.m. There goes that damn Mother of the Year award again!

Wow. Is this all there is? Just being behind and not meeting goals?

1 comment:

D and D said...

Man - I can't believe school started all ready!! When we were in school we at least got a reprieve until after labor day - Yeesh!!!