Tuesday, August 21, 2007






Tonight was instrument night at my son's school. We went, and as expected, he chose a clarinet. I'm honored...I played that for 12 years! But, like I said yesterday, it's Squidward from Spongebob Squarepants who should be honored...I think he's 9/10 of the reason Ben chose a clarinet!


The first class is tomorrow, and he's so excited. He opened the case about 50 times tonight, just to look at it. It's just a rental, but it makes him so happy! The program the school rents with is pretty cool; any and all rental money can go toward the purchase of a new instrument if/when he gets serious and decides this is for good. But, he can also change instruments if he wants, which is kind of nice, too. A clarinet and a saxophone are a lot alike, so he could change to that, or to drums, which I also think would be totally cool, or whatever. So it doesn't tie the parents into some huge expense they can't really afford, only to have El Kiddo quit 3 weeks into lessons.


I could swear this boy was just born yesterday...and already he's in fifth grade! How??

2 comments:

Tori :) said...

"I have a date and her name is Clarinet..." is one of my fave Squidward quotes!!
I hope your son enjoys learning his new instrument!

willmark said...

Mine switched instruments. Gone are the easily produced sweet mellow sounds of the cello, soon to be replaced with squeals and shrills of the alto saxophone.

She is currently experiencing band bias. Something you have to deal with if you don't play clarinet or trumpet. She's had band twice, but the instructor has only worked with the clarinets and trumpets.