Friday, August 10, 2007

We're Baaaaaaaaaack!

Hola! Como Estas!

A good time was had by all in Rocky Point.

BTW, a big THANK YOU (see--it's big!) goes to Kayelyn, who translated my "see you in a week" into Spanish. See the comments of the post before this for the correct lingo.

I learned a few things in Mexico. First, you don't have to pull over at the border at the first guy who waves you to the side of the road. Silly me, I was driving in a foreign country and thought I should do what he said, since I was at the border. Nope. He was selling time shares. But he didn't say that, he said there was a new hotel and they'd like to have people go see it and spread the word about it, so they were offering us a free breakfast, a bottle of tequila, and a sunset harbor cruise. Then, after his 5 minutes spiel, he says he needs $20 to guarantee we'll show up. We did show up, and it was indeed a lovely breakfast and a lovely resort. But it wasn't a hotel, it was one of several resorts run by Mayan Resorts, wherein you buy something that sounds remarkably like a time share. But they swear it's not one. Four hours later we left, having purchased NO timeshare, with a bottle of tequila and our $20 returned to us as promised, and only after having spoken to no less than four sales people. We didn't get the promised harbor cruise (surprise, surprise) because we didn't have a major credit card (we travel with our debit cards because we have one credit card that is empty and is STRICTLY for emergencies). This lovely company has "plants" all over Rocky Point, too; we were asked at least twice in old town Rocky Point the day we were there. They're friendly, they give you your money back, and we got the tequila (which is only okay, not fabulous, by the way).

Things improved a lot after that. We saw a marine museum with the enormous skeleton of a whale who sadly beached itself in Rocky Point in 1985. Right in front of our condo (100 yards, max) was The Ocean, or, rather; The Gulf of California. Whatever. It was awesome. We spent mucho time on the beach building castles and playing in the waves. On Wednesday we lost power for a little bit, so we decided it was the perfect time to go in to "Old Town" and do some shopping. We did that, and we also found a nice restaurant and bought our only meal out there. While we were there we also got a great recommendation for a place to go parasailing, so Thursday we went parasailing. When I say "we," I mean all of us--they actually let the kids go, and the kids wanted to go. It was awesome!! I would do it again in a heartbeat! We went in two tandem set-ups; Ben and I went first, then Tony and Julie. We ended up sitting, literally, in these harnesses so it felt very secure and safe. We also had life jackets on--serious ones! It was almost like when I fly in my dreams, except there was a 10-year old in front of me, smacking into me every now and again (it's harnesses strapped to a parachute, not a Cadillac). When we got off the boat afterward, we were walking to our car and saw dolphins in the harbor! I think there were two of them. They surfaced every once in awhile for at least 10 minutes, right in front of us. Well, we were on the shore, but still...very cool!

Every night I read my book, and we sat on the deck and watched the stars come out, and played games with the kids, and slept really, really well. The afternoons, from about 1:00 to 4:00, were really hot-over 100 degrees, with 100 percent humidity...ugh! I read a lot in the afternoons, and napped under the fantastic air conditioning vent that was directly over our bed. I got through my book 1.5 times...I love this story! It's just a romance novel, but it involves small towns and country music, too, and it's just happy and fun. It's one that I have kept for several years to re-read. It's called Small Town Girl, by LaVyrle Spencer. Totally dorky, but that's me!

I will hopefully have pictures to share in the near future. Right now they're all on my husband's laptop because we just got home today. Also, for you Good Mailers, I haven't forgotten you. I've just been busy prepping for the vaca and all.

It's good to be back!!

2 comments:

ioio said...

You did it! You flew!

Sounds like it was the perfect mix of fun, relaxation, and family time. And sleep. Sleep is always good.

Klin said...

What a fun vacation! I think I need one now. Reading yours has made me think that anyway.

Just for the record- I only remember a very few words in Spanish. Week just happens to be one of them- so you got lucky;)