Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Five Hours in the Penalty Box!

I'm not a real hockey fan. I just thought it appropriate for what happened today. I woke up this morning with a GINORMOUS neck/shoulder/headache.

I should've known it was coming. I've been dizzy for two days (well, three now), I've had chest pains a lot the past three weeks (I get those with anxiety-at least I hope that's all it is) and have been incredibly stressed out at work. So, Wham-o! Major, life-stopping, energy-sapping headache. For five hours. Couldn't look at light or hear sound. At all. Ugh. Happily, the kids had no school, and their awesome grandma took them canoeing up in Prescott. My fabulous husband got them up, dressed, and ready to go (though these days, they do much of that themselves). I laid there in bed, in agony. I called in to work, then went to sleep. I woke up at 11:00. Still couldn't move until noon.

I must get healthier. I've been hardly eating lunch, trying to keep up at work, and not sleeping enough, trying to be everything else I need to be and do homework.

I did go in to work at 1:30. At least it was something, I thought. My sweet boss called me into her office and told me that I need to let her know if I have too much to do. She knows she runs around like a headless chicken all the time, but doesn't want to make others sick because of it. This is good, because if one more person handed me something they just didn't want to deal with themselves, I was going to rip their arm off. Okay, probably not. But it was tempting.

I am so blessed to work there. But I do have to learn to say NO, or it won't be good any more. I am not a doormat, but I'm letting myself be one by saying yes to everyone who needs help. I also "take on" other people's feelings, and when my boss is stressed, I want to help her and I just figure I will somehow fit it all in. And more often than not, I do fit it in. But I end up hurting myself and my health. N-N-N-N....NO. I can do this. I must do this. Or I will drop over dead from a heart attack.

No.
No.
No.

2 comments:

Klin said...

Wow, can I relate to that post! My problem is that I want to do the things that people are asking me. I just can't do it and work my jobs, be a mom, wife, and sane person.

I do have a great technique for reducing anxiety. Go to the good mail blog and get my email. I'll email you my phone number and I can tell you how to do it.

ioio said...

what's the word "no"?

never heard it before.
is it foreign?