Sunday, September 30, 2007

Foley's Fire Eaters Finally Finish!

No, I'm not really eating fire. Ick. The title is a reference to a line in the famous and popular movie, "An Officer and A Gentleman," when the platoon (or whatever you call it) that Richard Gere's character is a part of, finally finishes basic training and is on their way to Pensacola to "get jets."

I, however, am done with my independent study class. I'd really like to know how these can be called "Independent Study." 'Cause I pretty much had a set syllabus of what I had to do. I didn't feel free to study butterflies, or wave frequency at Clearwater Beach on the Gulf of Mexico. No, I had to study what they told me (ha, ha).

I figured it out tonight, and I wrote 12 papers of at least 800 words. In 5 weeks. Actually, in 10 days, because I did all of my homework for this class on the weekends, around everything else that's happening in our lives (Tony's grandpa's cancer; the kids in a new school;everybody being sick because it's a new school year and hey, why not; my husband's fabulous book deal; church; choir; and, oh yeah...work.). And I am tired! My husband found me on our bed at 2 a.m. this morning, literally asleep on my laptop. He woke me up to tell me it may be time to put the computer away, and I was so startled that I was like, "I'm up! I'm up! Hang on!" Yeah, right. Then, he gently told me he was going to unplug my computer (because the cord was hanging across his side of the bed, and it of course has an internal battery, and it being 2 a.m. he wanted to go to sleep). I'm like, "Wait! Hold on! I don't want to lose this," at which point he patiently explained to my sleep-befuddled self that it wont' turn off the computer if he unplugs it; the computer has an internal battery. I swear, the poor man had no idea what he was getting into when he married me. I can be such a dork sometimes! :)

But, I am finished. And it is good. Now, I just have a meeting on 10/16 and classes start again 10/23. But for now, a break! From school, at least...

3 comments:

Klin said...

Wow, that's a lot of work. Independent Study is my favorite only when I am in the mood to manage my time. Otherwise it's no good for me.

Congrats to you for getting it all done.

ioio said...

super dooper amount of work!

sounds like my summer while trying to finish up my independent study credits to get my degree!

Busy Bee Lauren said...

Congratulations! Aren't you just so glad when a class is over?!